Rethink what you know about suncare
Here are the facts about sunscreen:
- Apply sunscreen at least 30 minutes before surfing, swimming or your favorite activity. This allows for maximum absorption and better protection.
- Make sure not to forget some of the most sensitive areas including ears, nose, scalp, face, shoulders, neck and cleavage areas.
- Always use sunscreen with at least an Spf-15 rating or higher for best protection.
- In addition to sunscreens try to stay covered with a wide brimmed hat, umbrella or the shade of a tree.
- Be sure to use a broad spectrum sunscreen to protect against both UVA & UVB rays.
- Reapply sunscreen every 2 hours. Apply more often after surfing, swimming, sweating or towel drying.
- Always use a water resistant sunscreen for surfing, swimming and sweating.
- Remember on cloudy days that up to 90% of UV rays can penetrate clouds. You can still get burned.
- Try to limit your time in the sun between 10am. and 2pm. when the sun is at it strongest.
- Sun Exposure increases up to 50% from reflection off of the water and snow.
- Newborns should be kept out of the sun. Do not use sunscreen on children under 6 months of age.